This week in Databend #69
Databend is a powerful cloud data warehouse. Built for elasticity and efficiency. Free and open. Also available in the cloud: https://app.databend.com .
Below is a list of some major changes that we don't want you to miss.
Exciting New Features ✨
- implement drop user defined catalog (#8820)
- add cli command to delete a key and to expire a key (#8858)
- optimize count(Nullable(col)) (#8805)
- support unset settings (#8870)
- add distinct count aggregator and column distinct count (#8825)
- compact segments in reversed order (#8806)
- geo functions (#8481)
- add methods to get memory size of
- add a global builtin function registry (#8912)
Code Refactor 🎉
- send pointer addresses to mem tracker (#8879)
StatBufferto provide fine grained mem allocation stats buffer (#8880)
- allow sparse column id for constant folder (#8821)
Build/Testing/CI Infra Changes 🔌
- separate sqllogic test with handler (#8836)
Thoughtful Bug Fix 🔧
- support track processor async task (#8871)
- avoid dropping runtime when task on it not finished (#8894)
- remove useless memcpy when group long string (#8851)
- snapshot removed unsafely during meta commit failure (#8850)
Let's take a look at what's new at Datafuse Labs & Databend each week.
Preview of New Expressions: Geo Functions
By supporting Geo functions, Databend will have the ability to perform operations on geographic inputs.
With the merging of #8481, geo functions like
point_in_ellipses are already supported in the new expression system.
Databend is currently actively working on the migration to the new expressions, so keep an eye on the expression branch for progress!
The merging of #8870 brings the ability to unset settings to Databend
UNSET means to restore one or more settings to their default values. The settings will also be reset to the initial SESSION level if they were set to GLOBAL level.
UNSET <setting_name> | ( <setting_name> [, <setting_name> ...])
Meet issues you may be interested in and try to solve it.
Add Compression Option to Create Table
Compression helps to reduce the size of databases. For IO-intensive loads, compression may provide some performance improvements.
Databend plans to introduce
compression option in the
create table statement and support compression algorithms such as LZ4 (default) and Snappy.
create table t1(a int) [compression="LZ4|SNAPPY"]
Issue 8903: feat: add compression option to create table
If you find it interesting, try to solve it or participate in discussions and PR reviews. Or you can click on https://link.databend.rs/i-m-feeling-lucky to pick up a good first issue, good luck!
You can check the changelogs of Databend nightly to learn about our latest developments.
Thanks a lot to the contributors for their excellent work this week.
Please join the DatafuseLabs Community if you are interested in Databend.
We are looking forward to seeing you try our code. We have a strong team behind you to ensure a smooth experience in trying our code for your projects. If you are a hacker passionate about database internals, feel free to play with our code.
You can submit issues for any problems you find. We also highly appreciate any of your pull requests.
- Databend Website
- Weekly (A weekly newsletter about Databend)
- GitHub Discussions (Feature/Bug reports, Contributions)
- Twitter (Get the news fast)
- Slack Channel (For live discussion with the Community)